Spirits Alive Happenings
March 28, 2015
Find out more about who is invited to be on the panel, and please join us!
posted March 1, 2015
They also help us conserve, maintain, and educate others about the Eastern Cemetery.
2014 has been an amazing year for the Eastern Cemetery and Spirits Alive!
- 90 grave markers were cleaned, straightened or repaired by our all-volunteer conservation crew, and we hired a professional conservator to lift and restore some heavier monuments.
- Over 200 tourists enjoyed historic walking tours this summer, and their “excellent” reviews on TripAdvisor put us in the top 10 “Things to do in Portland!”
- 350 people experienced Walk Among the Shadows evening performances, now considered one of the best October events in the city.
- 300 attended Bartlett Adams tours and lectures, where they learned about this stonecutter whose Portland shop was responsible for 700 of the gravestones at Eastern Cemetery.
- We worked closely with the city to have the floor and roof of the storage shed, also known as the “Dead House,” replaced, and installed a water line needed for our conservation work.
- In addition, well-attended public lectures were held January through March, helping keep the focus on Eastern Cemetery during an otherwise “quiet” time of the year.
The money raised through friendships and donations keep us going. If you want to give the gift of friendship, you can use a credit or debit card through Paypal or send a check payable to: Spirits Alive PO Box 18209, Portland ME 04112 to donate to our work today. All funds go directly to improving and educating others about the Eastern Cemetery.
posted November 24, 2014
Support the Eastern Cemetery with your holiday giving and through the year
You have to admit that giving your friends and family members a Spirits Alive Friendship would be a very creative and unexpected holiday gift! For only $5 each, you can help Spirits Alive keep the Eastern Cemetery alive for generations to come and join as a Friend. Through your support we will continue to:
- Keep the gates open – encouraging the community to explore its open and safe green space
- Offer education about the cemetery and its residents to the public – through tours, lectures, and events
- Encourage and support the city in keeping the site clean and safe for visitors of all ages
- Preserve this incredible outdoor museum and sacred historic landscape
Go to: www.spiritsalive.org/join to take advantage of this offer today!
posted November 7, 2014